Re: [TenTec] Omni 6+ help; 3 problems

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6+ help; 3 problems
From: Tommy <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 07:57:32 -0400
Sometimes guys will disable that keying relay because they don't like
the noise and are not aware it can be turned off/on in the menu.
Check the voltage  going to that relay coil, if the keying voltage is
present, check to see if a match stem or something similar is wedged
between the relay contacts.

What is actually keying your radio? If your keyers use relay keying,
make sure your running a ground wire from the relay to the KEY jack
on the radio. If your keyers use transistor switching, check to make
sure they are really pulling the key line down to ground. Sometimes
keying transistors are not biased well enough to really saturate the collector.

If you have a dual trace o'scope, try looking at your keying waveform
and also your RF output wave form. If the RF output waveform is not
following the keying input, you surely must have a timing problem
with the 'T' line in the rig. But that normally wont happen unless
somebody has been 'messing' with the circuitry. Unfortunately that
sounds like what is happening since you have both short dots and
dashes. BUT even if your keyer works on other rigs, I would start by
making sure the input keying has correct timing, and THEN look at the Plus.

As already mentioned, check the two diodes, D2 and D3 on the Low Pass
Filter board, or just replace them, for the SWR problem.

Also use caution when looking at the manual as there was some Omni 6
information that accidentally was put in the Omni 6 Plus manual. If
you need that info, I could email it to you.

Good luck!!

Tom - W4BQF