Re: [TenTec] Turner M+2/U Microphone

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Turner M+2/U Microphone
From: OTAKEBI@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 17:19:37 EDT
Mike, it is a good thing you asked about the battery.
I have a Turner M+2/U that I bought new many years ago.
I buy the battery for it at a local CB shop here in Tampa, FL.
The name of the place is Jefferson Electronics.
You are going to run into a problem if you try to hook that mike up to your
Ten Tec.
Even if you wire the connector up as per Ten Tec you could screw up your  rig.
The Turner M+2/U was a relay switching type mike.
You are going to have to change the wires in the mike so that it becomes an
electronic switching mike.
If you look on the Internet under Turner mikes you can find out  how to make
the conversion.
I no longer remember but it required changing two wires and adding a
resistor.
I think adding the resistor was optional and it changed the high end  on the
mike because it had to much gain and the knob on the back had to be like  on 1
without it.
Once I added the resistor it was good at a 5 setting.
Also, you can see if the other guy you bought it from changed it to
electronic switching before it got to you.
I changed mine over and used it on my Corsair II and OMNI V but  was not
happy with reports I got.
Seems that the push to talk switch was loud and made noise when pushed  that
could be heard by the other station.
I lubed the switch after I cleaned it with a contact cleaner and  the noise
did not go away.
So, I took it offline.
I was told later that all the M+2/U had switches that made noise  because of
the way they were made.
I bought an Astatic D104 M6B handheld and that thing works great on my OMNI
V but not good on the Corsair II.
One rig requires low impedance (low) the other high (Corsair  II) and it does
make a difference.
If you have any other questions ask.
Dan/N4VET