Re: [TenTec] Centaur cooling mod for lower noise?

To: kg6tt@arrl.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centaur cooling mod for lower noise?
From: Duane A Calvin <ac5aa@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:07:34 -0500
Jerry,
        Carl's answer is the short and sweet one.  I had an interesting
exchange of letters with the TT president about the Centaur when it came
out and I documented the noise level in my shack caused by it.  No help.
However, I did take it in to the acoustic lab where I work and had one of
their engineers look it over.  I had noticed that with the covers off,
the fan was relatively quiet, but if you put anything close to the fan
intake, it got very noisy very quickly.  The engineer agreed and said it
was the shock wave (if I'm remembering it correctly) from the leading
edge of each fan blade which was striking the slot openings in the
cabinet side (which is, essentially, too close to the fan).  Sort of like
playing cards on a spoked bicycle wheel.  The best answer is to do what
Carl did and remove the material in front of the fan, or, as one fellow
did, use a pair of pliers and "twist" each of the bars so that it takes
on a 45 degree (or so) angle.  The latter option will reduce, but not
eliminate the noise.  I took the more expensive route, and traded my
Centaur on a Centurion.  No more noise - hi!

        73,  Duane