Re: [TenTec] Solid State Amps-- was: SDR 1000 vs Orion vs SDR-X

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Solid State Amps-- was: SDR 1000 vs Orion vs SDR-X
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:09:33 -0700
$5k-$6k isn't much for an auto-tune or no-tune 1.5 kW+ amp.  The only others
on the market in that power level, Alpha and Acom, cost more.  The
disturbing trend I have seen in broadcasting is that vacuum tubes just don't
last as long as they used to.  In fact, the cheap re-builds from Econco
(3CX15000A7's) typically last twice as long as brand new tubes from Eimac.
SS amps are safer (No HV), require no warm-up time and have design
capabilities to extend coverage from 160-6 meters.

The broadcast world is going solid state due to several factors.  The price
is the same or less than tube-types up to around 5 kW on FM, and 50 kW AM.
Over that, cost of maintenance makes SS cheaper in the long run.  MOSFETS
have an outstanding long-term life, and I maintain several SS transmitters
that have been running 10+ years, 24/7/365 with no failures in the finals.
The big transmitters are made up of multiple modules that are hot-swappable
and can be run with one or more units missing, and PA module are
interchangeable with IPA's.  The power supplies are typically in the
modules, reducing single point of failure problems.

The SGC is a reliable amp, but the IMD specs suck.  It's OK to run it mobile
into a "dummy load on a stick", but put it into stacked MonstIR's on a 140'
tower, and you'll hear howling from all parts of the globe!   It also wants
to see 1:1 SWR and has no auto-tune components.  Not bad for $1,300 without
a power supply, but for 3+ times power (actually around 5X peak), auto tune
to 3:1 SWR and a power supply, IMHO Elecraft has another winner that's
priced right.

Ron N6AHA