[TenTec] Filter Question

To: "Ten Tec" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Filter Question
From: "AJ4AY" <aj4ay@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:53:42 -0500
All,

I supposedly have in my possession, a TT282 filter that I have serious
doubts about.  When placed in My Corsair II, there is a considerable
decrease in audio level when the filter is selected.  Adjusting the tuning
does not improve the audio level.

I purchased another 282 filter and tested it in my Corsair and the
difference between the 2 filters is night and day.  The "good" filter shows
no heard decrease in CW signal.  In fact, it provides a very pleasant
listening experience.

What I have found is that there is a very pronounced difference in the
capacitor values between the two 282 filters.  If it is not a real pain,
would someone check the capacitor values on their 282 filter.  This is the
capacitor info that I have:

"GOOD" working 282 filter:
110pF
330pf
510pF
560pF
510pF
330pF
110pF

"QUESTIONABLE" non-working 282 filter:
180pF
430pF
680pF
680pF
680pF
430pF
180pF

What I find interesting is that the filter I have doubts about has 8025
stamped on the top of on crystal and 282 stamped another.  Looking at the
solder joints on the bottom of the board, all appear to be original with no
repairs, mods, or fixes.  I guess that variations in crystals from one run
to another would require variations in capacitors to set the filter width.
Does that mean that TT had to hand tinker with the filters for the Corsairs
and Omins??

I will probably send the non-working filter to TT for repair.  Thanks in
advance for any help or suggestions.

Jay
AJ4AY
Mobile, AL