[TenTec] Being a Contrarian

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Being a Contrarian
From: "OE3ZK Gert" <oe3zk@aon.at>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 10:30:15 +0200
John

The truth is, that after two years you get a IC-7800 hardware upgrade for $
500,-- from ICOM. It consists of a 3rd roofing filter, a new 2nd LO (10db less
phase noise) and further improvements i.e. in the power supply to reduce RFI in
the LF region.

Compairing this with TT - resulting in a new Orion II after two years -  you
are better off.

When you study the IC-7800 concept, you will find, it is a more Software
Defined Radio than the Orion. There are a cost free, very well tested and
stable firmware upgrades for the IC-7800 available online.

And if you ask me - the IC-7800 receiver is a better performer too. After 44
years of playing with all kinds of radios - I trust my experienced ears much
more than some lab figures in reviews. Good RX performance is not all about Top
Dynamic Range Narrow Spaced...

 73
Gert, OE3ZK

> Gert
> I don't believe you can compare programming  SDR radio with the IC  7800 or
> the ftdx 9000 type radios which are hardware based  and  2 to 3 times the
> price.All The 7800s are getting new power supplies when they are sent back
> for the 3kc roofing filter mod. and they have other known problems too. The
> FTdx 9000 is not even software upgradeable via the Internet so you have to
> ship the radio every time it needs to be upgraded .and the 9000 has many
> other problems, just read the eham reviews . As for the Flex radio all one
> has to do is join their reflector to see they have their  problems too. No
> radio is perfect!!  I had  a first production run Orion and I have a first
> production run Orion II  I also was a beta tester for V2 software. I think my
> Orion II can hold it's own with in other rig being made . Is it perfect ?
> short answer no, but it is sure getting better with every software upgrade .
> I know there are a few on this reflector that don't think the upgrades come
> fast
> enough. I guess you can't make everyone happy . I really think those that
> stick with their Os and OII with be very happy in the long run with how the
> value of their radio hold up against the competition.
>
> John WB4QDA

Original Message: 2