Re: [TenTec] Orion II - Tech Topics

To: ronc@sonic.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II - Tech Topics
From: "James Duffer" <dufferjames@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 06:10:55 -0500
snip

Sorry but from my point of view it isn't worth that much additional cost for
that improvement.  The stability of my Omni VI, and FT-1000D is more than
satisfactory for my use.  Maybe an option where those who think they require
that additional stability??

Looking at the radios that I have owned in the past, SB-300, KWM-2, Swan 350
(!), HW-16, TenTec 544 etc.  Frequency stability has improved with the newer
radios and I have no problems with the current frequency stability.

Jim wd4air

>If we want real frequency stability, here is what is needed:
>
>http://www.bliley.com/n47x___nv47x___co_08.pdf
>
>I wonder if TT would be willing to order a few of these custom since a
>volume purchase would be needed, and offer them as an option on new units
>and a mod to existing units?  It would require a simple board to solder to
>the existing circuit board, but there is plenty of room to accommodate it.
>They could also add a trim pot on the board to fine calibrate if the 'EFC'
>version is used.  Imagine having frequency stability and accuracy to one
>part per 10 million and 10 dB better phase noise, too!
>
>I'd pay $200-$300 for that, which would build in a fair profit for TT if
>more than a couple dozen were sold.
>
>Ron N6AHA

snip