Re: [TenTec] About 3 prong plugs???

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] About 3 prong plugs???
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:45:00 -0500
On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 02:09 -0400, OTAKEBI@aol.com wrote:
> I am changing out some 2 prong (non grounded) plugs with three  prong
> (grounded) plugs on some equipment to make the equipment more  safe.
> I have been told that the black wire should go to the fuse side and the
> black to the switch.
> Of course the green should go to cabinet.
> But, my question is does it really make a difference as to which wire  (black
> or white) goes to the fuse side of the equipment.
> I can't see how it would make a difference.
> Any advice?
> Dan/N4VET

IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

When you switch white, you do interrupt the power to the transformer, so
it has no output, BUT, you leave all of the power wiring hot with
respect to ground while the cord is plugged in. Which means the maximum
possibility of shock while working in the radio with it plugged in. If
you switch black, you remove power from the majority of the power wiring
as sensed by a grounded object, just as your fingers. The National
Electrical Code never allows switching the neutral alone (generally
white) because of that.

While changing cords it would do well the replace all the line bypass
capacitors with higher quality and lower leakage capacitors specifically
made for line bypass.

While the third wire now grounds the chassis, its better for RFI
reduction to have a separate short ground wire on each chassis also.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,