[TenTec] Using the 302R remote keypad with the Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>, <orion565@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Using the 302R remote keypad with the Orion
From: "Jerry.Van" <jerry.van@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 14:58:14 -0400

I'm waiting for some additional input from TT service and in the mean
time I'd like to solicit some advice from others who are using the 302R
with the Orion I or II.  Just yesterday I received a 302R and it seems
to me that selecting bands from my new keypad does not match the
description given in the manual nor does it make logical sense to me.

For instance if I press the upper left button on the Orion panel 160m is
selected.  If I press the upper left button on the remote 15m is
selected.

If I press the lower right on the panel 10m is selected.  Lower right on
the remote selects 40m.

It seems to me that my remote does not match the description in the
manual and it would be a bit confusing if pressing a button on the
remote having the same physical location as the panel causes a different
band to be selected.  If you are a 302R user how does your remote
operate and does it match the description in the manual?
I've exchanged a couple of emails with Paul Clinton and here is his
response.  "Sorry to say that the manual is incorrect. The software
engineer picks up the button press by the number on the button not the
position."  So, as an example, to select 160m on the Orion front panel
one presses the upper left button and the lower left button on the
remote.  To select 40m press the upper right button on the panel and the
lower right on the remote.  And so on.  Confusing but I'll just have to
get used to it.

Jerry  N8BM