[TenTec] Ramblings about 2.059d firmware

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ramblings about 2.059d firmware
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 17:21:20 -0400
First impression is Nice Job Ten Tec!  Still a couple bugs, maybe,but so far
I like what I see.

I'm not sure the unprocessed SSB audio is a good as 1.732 but with the
processor on 4 or 5 it sounds pretty good to these old ears that are
severely hearing impared.  You golden ear types will have to have the final
word.  Anyway, improvement over previous 2.0XX versions.

It seems the Noise Reduction works better.  It is at least useable in this
version whereas in earlier 2.0XX versions I never turned it on.

Ditto notch filter.

AUX audio level on transmit also seems stable.  In earlier 2.0XX versions,
the AUX was unuseable.  The transmitted level would vary over a wide
range and was un predictable.  Not so on 1.372.  In this version is it fine.

I really like the selectable AGC slope.  With my hearing problem, I have
only a 20db or so dynamic range between threshold of hearing and pain.
One would think that flat AGC would be ideal.  But after trying the 1:10 and
2:10 slope it turns out I prefer the 2:10 slope, so far at least.

Now for the not quite so good.

I had trouble after first installing 2.059d.  Strange stuff happened including
but by no means limited to headphone random noise and distortion.  To
make a long story shorter, I did all the resets I could do, reloaded the
firmware, another master reset and all seems well.

I have loaded other versions and did not knowingly have a problem with the
load.  Maybe I did have a problem which accounted for some of the
problems I observed with earlier versions of firmware.

One other problem is in the difference in volume level between CW
sidetone and CW Spot tones.  It seems both are set with the Sidetone level
control but the Spot tone is considerably louder that Sidetone.  That does
not work for me.  Either I can set a useful level for Sidetone or for Spot but
not both.  Before I send this to Dits-N-Bits I would appreciate any
comments from the rest of you.  Is this unique to my Orion or do you all
have the same "Feature"?    :-)

Overall, I like what I hear.

73,

-Lee-