[TenTec] Centurion 110 v.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Centurion 110 v.
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:12:51 +0000
I had a 240 v. circuit put in by an electrician to run my Centurion off of.
  Of course what happened a few months later was that I decided to move the
shack to the opposite side of the basement.   I went around to lots of
hardware stores, big box places etc. and looked at all of the 240 v.
extension cords.  None of them made me feel confident.  If they were heavy
enough they weren't long enough.  If they were long enough they weren't
rated for the current.

Being cheap, I fashioned an "extension cord" of romex (no. 10 I think) wired
between a 20A plug and a 20A socket.  plugged it into the outlet box, strung
it up along one of the joists and down to the amp where I plugged it in.  It
worked fine and probably would have worked fine for years except of course I
knew it wasn't kosher, professional, and that bothered me.   One of the
reasons these things are frowned upon is for example, if I were to expire
before I could pull the romex and get rid of it, and someone who never knew
me decided to use the rogue line i put in but with a different socket, they
would not know the way I mapped the outlet box's two hots, and ground to the
romex wires.   I made it work because I set it up but maybe I didn't do it
according to the wire color code.
That's one kind of danger.  After a few more months of this I got the
electrician back and had him run more conduit, wire and a new outlet at the
new shack qth.

rob / k5uj