[TenTec] ORION and TL-922

To: <g3rxp@btinternet.com>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ORION and TL-922
From: <dbp@tds.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:58:32 +0000
Hi Dave-
 AG6K has information about updating the TL-922, making it a modern day amp. He
has good info about QSK keying mods that is the same circuit used by Alpha,
slow start circuit which re-uses the existing T/R switch, 10 Meter mod if you
need it and more. You can pick and choose what mods you want to do and he can
supply the parts, direction, and schematics...inexpensively.
 I have used the internal Ameritron QSK5 pc board in an AL-522 (4-572B's).  I
was not happy. After getting the input level set just right it worked fine.
That was after many times blowing out their protective neon Christmas tree
light bulb and soldering in a new one. Any over drive would blow the bulb.
Excellent for safety, but high in labor to change that bulb. I finally cut a
hole in the top of the cabinet to get to the QSK board and bulb without
disassembling the amp. There were no instructions specifically given for this
amp however, it is very similar to the AL-80a. I hear the external QSK board
works slick.
 The TL-922 mods from AG6K leave the amp with no visual mods and "quiet as a
church mouse" in operation.
 Google his call or "TL-922 modifications.
 73 de Dave in NH  K1OPQ