[TenTec] Vertical radial question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Vertical radial question
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 13:52:32 -0500
Hi Tom,

 >73,  Bill  W4ZV  (DXCC 321 on 160m, 341 on 80m)

Bill, would you mind giving us a brief description of your 160 and 80
meter antennas?

160 TX:

3 element parasitic vertical array with ~5 dB gain over single vertical.
Inverted-V apex up 95' (used for both TX/RX at high takeoff angles).
99% of the time the vertical is +10 dB for DX but in certain conditions
the inv-V is +10 dB (sunrise/sunset and in geomagnetic disturbances).

Compare TOA here: http://users.vnet.net/btippett/new_page_10.htm
Plot in middle of page shows physical arrangement for the 3-el
parasitic (5 elements total but normally 3 in use simultaneously).

80 TX:

Actually embarrassing to say but I only use a sloping dipole,
and physically move it toward the desired direction.  I need 4 more
on 80 to have all current DXCC so I don't reorient it very often.  :-)
The key to success on both bands is really in the RX antennas below.

160 & 80 RX:

9 Beverages of various lengths.  Most single but sometimes a phased
pair to EU, mainly for contests.  See the H and V plots of the
phased pair near the bottom of the above page.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  Going outside now to repair a Beverage (a never ending job!)