Re: [TenTec] UCW and LCW

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] UCW and LCW
From: "Ron" <ron@morell.us>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 17:56:56 -0700
Sinisa,
Since I first replied to your post, I've worked through this more carefully.
The setup:

BW @ 600 Hz (using a 600 Hz roofing filter)

PBT=0

With this setup, the frequency of an interfering signal is placed higher or
lower in tone when changing from UCW to LCW.  When it is heard as a high
tone in UCW, it is then heard as a low tone in LCW.  When it is no longer
audible in UCW, it is no longer audible in LCW, so the filter symetry would
seem to be good as you say.  The only advantage found in changing from UCW
to LCW is the "mental filter" of rejecting a higher or lower tone.  So my
statement "As a practical matter it seems to completely eliminate some
interfering signals when I change from UCW to LCW", has to rely on the
individual "mental filter" because the signal will remain in the audio ouput
of the ORION II.

As you say, it is best to reduce BW and not rely in UCW / LCW for a filter.

73
Ron KA7U