[TenTec] Astron Power Supplies To: "'Discussion of Ten-TecEquipment'"

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Astron Power Supplies To: "'Discussion of Ten-TecEquipment'"
From: Art <k6xt@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:36:11 -0700
Larry
I use a 35A Astron switcher. Nary a problem. I don't ground the negative
PS. The chassis is, of course, strapped to ground.

I haven't looked into whether there is any reason, inside the Orion,
that the negative could not be grounded. I'd sure ask TenTec before I
did it or, ground the negative thru a 1K resistor and current meter as a
test, to avoid rude shocks.

73 Art

Message: 2 Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 17:08:59 -0600 From: "Larry Menzel"
<retire@means.net> Subject: [TenTec] Astron Power Supplies To:
"'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>,
<orion565@yahoogroups.com> Message-ID:
<200612042306.kB4N6ukZ000566@smtp2.onvoy.com> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="windows-1250" Hey, guys, I?ve been using a 35amp Astron
supplies in my shack. I have been running my Orion off it since I got
them, and with no problems. It crapped out the other day, and I believe
I read or heard someone say that the negative post should be grounded to
the case of the supply. The one I have been using does NOT. Well I just
got a replacement supply, and I opened the case, and I can see that
indeed, the negative post is isolated with insulators on both sides of
the negative post. Do I recall Paul Clinton telling me that the post
should be connected to the case? Number one, if so, why doesn?t Astron
do that to begin with? And second question, will it do any harm to do
so? Your opinions would be much appreciated before I put this one into
service. TIA. Larry, N0XB Northfield, MN