Re: [TenTec] Circuit breaker tripping excessively

To: geraldj@storm.weather.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Circuit breaker tripping excessively
From: Craig Roberts <crgrbrts@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 14:01:21 -0500
Dr.Johnson makes a good point about the possibility of stray RF tripping
the magnetic circuit breaker in the power supply.  I'll try a couple of
shielding and bypass techniques.

In answer to Don Kemp's question: the problem occurs even when the SWR
is flat (on my lab grade dummy load) with a short coax run straight to
the load.  At any rate, my antennas are resonant to within a 1.7:1 SWR
at worst (double bazookas).  Since no changes were made in the station
setup, the sudden appearance of the problem leads me to suspect a
component failure upon powering up.  I'm hoping it's in the power supply
-- a Model 225.   Electrolytics are always a reasonable suspect.

Since I'm primarily a tube guy, I have a question about solid state
finals.  Do they ever "go soft" or invariably fail catastrophically?
Ten Tec suspects the finals may be bad, I can get full output from them
if I increase the circuit breaker trip point (but, of course, I don't
wish to operate the rig in this manner).  The circuit breaker is
triggered by excessive current draw (10A), but I don't understand how
the finals themselves could play a role in that.  Would someone please
explain?

73,

Craig
W3CRR