Re: [TenTec] Arrl and code

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Arrl and code
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:36:29 -0500
What's actually kind of funny John, in a very surreal way, is that you have
one segment screaming that this is a plot by the ARRL to increase revenue by
increasing the number of hams and therefore the number of ARRL members and
therefore more revenue.

Then you have another segment screaming that this is proof of the impotence
of the ARRL since it's another failure of ARRL leadership because they
couldn't stop the FCC from doing this.

I think the reality is neither, that this is more of an indication that the
lawyers and bureaucrats running the FCC today are more concerned with
helping out their buddies and cronies and political hacks, and lining their
own pockets once they leave (which would explain why the big push from the
FCC for a flawed technology like BPL).  Amateur Radio to them is a nuisance
at best.  So, when they finally do get around to doing something, they take
the path of least resistance and what creates the least burden on... the
FCC.  Not what's in the best interests of the Amateur Service, which they
probably wish would just go away and leave them alone.

One of the other posts had a comment from someone that he felt that "our
voices should have been heard."  That, I agree with.  Yes, we all sent in
our comments, and yes, they went through the motions of reading and
commenting on them.  But in the end, the FCC did what they wanted, not what
we wanted.  Just as they appeared to have done on most of the major changes
to the Service for the last 15 - 20 years.

But... we will survive, and once we get over our feelings, whatever they
are, towards the decision... well, we'll deal with it, adapt, and move on.

I will tell you one thing from a personal level.  No offense to anyone who
has taken an exam since, but for my own sake, I'm glad that I took my Extra
before an FCC examiner, back before all of the changes.  It might be easier
today, and will be easier tomorrow, but it wouldn't have meant the same
thing to me.  I just wish I'd gotten a few more right on the 2nd Class
Commercial Radiotelephone back when I took it, but at least I still have an
endorsed (even if expired) 3rd hanging on the wall.  It may mean nothing to
anyone else today, but it still means something to me.

73, ron w3wn