Re: [TenTec] Orion 1 & 2 "Talk Power" problem

To: <geraldj@storm.weather.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 1 & 2 "Talk Power" problem
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 14:18:26 -0800
First off, I would think that the TT final amp can take quite a bit more
peak output and still stay within its linear range.  Certainly an occasional
transient peak exceeding 100 Watts by 1 dB wouldn't "break the bank" and
cause splatter.  That being said, the average power output under a specific
peak output restriction could be increased by a couple of the methods you
mentioned.

Split spectrum processing is certainly one way to increase average power,
and this has been done as part of the old Alpha Vomax scheme, also it is
used in the TS-870 processing, as well as in commercial broadcasting, both
AM and FM where high average power is very much desired.

The comparisons that have been made with the Orions are usually against rigs
that are in common use that show ALC level on an analog or digital meter of
some sort.  These rigs achieve their higher average to peak ratio by
fast-acting "syllabic rate" ALC time constants.  I recall that Collins had a
Service Bulletin for the KWM-380 that increased ALC time constants to
increase "talk power".

Clipping with appropriate post-clipping filtering is also a useful way to
bring up the average.  Setting the SP carefully on the O2 seems to bring up
the average level before distortion becomes noticeable, but you can't get
very 'deep' before it gets dirty-sounding.  It's OK for DX and contests,
especially when the bass is curtailed, but not for every-day rag-chew.

The current thought in broadcasting is to use all of the above methods.
Usually a wide-band AGC, followed by 3 to 6 spectral bands of AGC, followed
by 3 to 6 spectral bands of peak limiting, followed by one or two stages of
either very fast wide band peak limiting or hard clipping or both. All of
those processes are DSP functions.  That pretty well describes the
characteristics of the best Orban and Omnia brands of processors.  Obviously
overkill for ham radio!

I think the problem could be fixed by changing the time constant on the ALC
when in the SSB mode.  The big question that still looms is whether this is
a purely analog hardware function, or if it is controlled in any way the
firmware.

      Ron N6IE
 www.N6IE.com
(Formerly N6AHA)