Re: [TenTec] TenTec] TX EQ = -14 dB for PSK31

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec] TX EQ = -14 dB for PSK31
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 15:06:25 EST
I guess my use of the term "non-linearities" is a misnomer.  What  I meant to
describe was something like this:

If I am operating SSB and I turn down the mic gain and transmit with the  mic
gain too low, the audio doesn't sound "full."  It may be totally linear  but
it is hard to understand and weak.  Isn't that the same thing as  turning down
the audio drive on PSK to reduce the final output to the desired 25  watts
when the transmitter is set to put out  100w?    Wouldn't it give the same
result, a thin  under-driven and hard-to-copy signal?

The debate is whether it is better to:

1.  Set the transmitter at 100w and only supply enough audio to put  out 25w,
or

2.  Set the transmitter at 25w and use enough audio to drive it to the  full
25w or slightly under.

The fact the Orion's ALC circuit and software are somewhat of a mystery  sure
doesn't help answer the question.

k4ia