Re: [TenTec] PSK-31 and ALC

To: <geraldj@storm.weather.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] PSK-31 and ALC
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 09:40:34 -0800
I wouldn't be so fast to interpret Lee's 2 dB increase in IMD as being
*caused* by the ALC.  In fact, the IMD he saw with no ALC may have been
inherent in the sound card to begin with and by slightly reducing the peaks
and increasing the average, the low-level 'grunge' that was already there
was brought up by 2 dB.  Given the test apparatus, the accuracy would be a
bit suspect, but the test did show, in my interpretation, that there was no
'significant' increase in IMD as a result of using ALC.  The really terrible
signals you see on the waterfall display are most likely a result of
overdriving the audio stages of the transceiver and/or RFI.

IMD on those old Collins rigs my have been low, but it came at a price.
Adjusting for inflation, a 1967 KWM-2A cost around $20,000 in today's
dollars.   You could by five Orion II's for that price!

Ron N6IE
 www.N6IE.com
(Formerly N6AHA)