[TenTec] A grounding question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] A grounding question
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 23:27:53 -0500
Guys...

I've got a 8 foot copper ground rod hammered into the basement where
the shack lives. From that ground rod I have 2" wide copper braid
going to 1/2 inch wide  by 1/8" copper strips.

The various radios and tuners, power supplies and what nots are tied
to these copper strips with short hunks of braided copper. (shield
from old RG8 cables) The equipment is NOT daisy chained together.

 From what I have been reading, all of what I have described above is
NO good. Great for DC grounding, but zip for RF.

While surfing the net, I came across an article on Ameriton's site
that says braided copper should be avoided at all costs as this makes
a really crappy RF ground.

They recommend at least 2" wide solid copper strips. Siting the "skin
effect"

I was always under the idea that skin effect only occurs on
frequencies higher than 30 mhz.

So, what do the experts say??

mike

Mike, WB8VGE