Re: [TenTec] A grounding question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] A grounding question
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 02:07:12 -0500

> I was always under the idea that skin effect only occurs on
> frequencies higher than 30 mhz.
>
> So, what do the experts say??

Don't know about any "experts" here, but my ITT Radio Engineers Handbook
gives a skin depth of 2.6 mils (0.0026 inch) at 1 MHz for copper.  So at
HF frequencies and higher, most all the current flows in the top (say)
10 mils of the copper -- any copper below that doesn't help very much.
Pound for pound and dollar for dollar, thin/wide strap gives the lowest
impedance connection.

Even at 60 Hz, the skin depth is sometimes important - about 1/3 inch.

73 Martin AA6E