Re: [TenTec] AM Receiver distortion in Orion II,

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] AM Receiver distortion in Orion II,
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 17:49:57 +0000
It's not too surprising that there's a difference between the Orion's AM audio and the TS870.
There are probably at least two reasons for this. The 870's dsp is a 24 bit system; Ten Tec went with 16 bit dsp, which produces a slightly "grungy" sound at times. This is true for the Jupiter/Pegasus but even if it is not for the Orion, there is Ten Tec's claimed frequency response specs, which they neglect to say are flat, because they are not. It was revealed here last year that with one of their rigs, either the Jupiter or the Orion, I can't remember which, the claimed ~4 KHz wide response was in reality, around ~2 Khz, if one were only measuring the flat portion of the curve. Yaesu also has an inferior dsp audio processing circuit--perhaps not in the FT2000 which I have not heard, but the dsp in the 1000MP Mk V is pretty low fidelity. I say this partly to make it clear that I am not mindlessly anti-Ten Tec and pro JA. The 870 however, is perfectly flat on receive from zero up to its maximum upper limit: 6 Khz on ssb, 7 Khz on AM (i.e. 14 KHz). Kenwood's experience in consumer audio product engineering and manufacturing clearly come into play here.

73,

rob / k5uj