Re: [TenTec] ORION2_HW-NOISE_BLANKER

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION2_HW-NOISE_BLANKER
From: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 18:51:56 -0500
The problem with any noise blanker comes down to how they work.  When a high
noise spike is detected, the audio is blanked for a very short time (like 10
milliseconds).  If a strong station comes on that is in the noise blanker
passband but not in the receiver passband and is stronger than the noise,
then the noise is not heard by the noise blanker, so the blanker does not
blank the audio while this signal is on.  What you end up with is the noise
appears to be modulated by the strong signal.  That is you only hear the
noise while the strong signal is on.  This is not intermod, but just the
noise blanker not hearing the noise while the strong signal is on.  This is
hard to explain but once you think about, you should get the idea.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
121 Little Bell Drive
Bell Mountain
Hays, NC 28635