Re: [TenTec] Station Grounding

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Station Grounding
From: Mike Gorniak <mgorniak@genesiswireless.us>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 12:15:22 -0600
Well Sir, I'm afraid that we will just have to disagree on this one. You
claim to have made successful arguments in court, and then claim that
the cases were not documented and that there are no transcripts. I would
like to point out that this is Extremely unusual in court proceedings.
I'm surprised that you don't have the transcripts in your
professional files. I've worked with dozens of PEs over the years and
they've all kept meticulously complete records of such matters. I
apologize for assuming that you were operating in that same manner.

Furthermore, you have changed the subject matter into "Agricultural"
practices, when all of my comments have been made with respect to
"Lightning Protection".

The NEC has specific sections on Grounding (Article 250), Radio and
Television Equipment (Article 810), and Agricultural Buildings, (Section
547) as well as many others. All of your Agricultural objections are
accounted for in the document. You seem to be protesting something that
addresses directly what it is that you are complaining about.
Specifically with respect to alternative Agricultural grounding schemes,
the code is not at all in conflict with your assertions. In short, you
have morphed your dissatisfaction with the concept of the document into
a series of inaccurate and unsubstantiated claims against it.

With respect to liability issues, I was thinking along the lines,
theoretically, of a person, maybe an electrician by trade, who helps his
ham radio neighbor on a tower project. He finds himself on the witness
stand after the neighbor's house burns down, and is asked if he is aware
of the NEC. Replying in the affirmative, he then is asked why he didn't
follow the procedures outlined in the document. He responds that a guy
on a ham radio reflector advised him that the code was defective and
that it should not to be followed.

In my opinion, this theoretical person is about to experience some Very
Difficult Times in the Days, Months and Years ahead!

73,

Mike
NM7X