Re: [TenTec] Orion /O2 Drift PRoblem

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion /O2 Drift PRoblem
From: "John Vickers" <wa4tt@nlamerica.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 21:36:30 -0500
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>

> However,  being off frequency on SSB even 20 hz causes your audio to sound
> different and can be readily detected.  When you add a drift of 20 hz to a
> rig that is already off a little bit anyway,  and then you have a bigger
> problem.  I have heard some Orions off as much as 30 to 35 hz and this is
> really obvious on SSB,  and when in a round table is annoying.

SNIP

> I would think that most would want a mod such as Inrad could offer to make
> the Orion more stable.

If someonehad offered this mod 45 yrs ago for my HT37 and HQ180 I'd have
taken on another paper route to afford it. But they didn't, so ---- I had to
learn how to tune a station in myself. Large QSOs back then never became
boring---- always some tuning to do. I wonder how many (or few) can really
tune to the same freq as the station they're talking to today ??

Don't need the mod myself, CW mostly here, but more power to the ones that
think they do.
73, WA4TT