Re: [TenTec] Commercial CW License

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Commercial CW License
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:21:53 -0600
On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 09:42 -0700, JAMES HANLON wrote:
> This is a snip from this week's ARRL Letter that will be of interest to those
> considering a Commercial CW License.
>
> Jim, W8KGI
>
> FCC says no commercial credit for prior military, ham radio, experience:
> The FCC has told a California radio amateur that it will not waive a
> commercial license application rule on the basis of his Amateur Radio Morse
> code qualifications. Last April, Robert E. Griffin, K6YR, of San Luis
> Obispo, applied for an FCC First Class Radiotelegraph Operator's Certificate
> -- known as a T1 license -- requesting a waiver of Â13.201(b)(1)(iv). That
> rule says T1 applicants must have a year's experience "sending and receiving
> public correspondence by radiotelegraph at a public coast station, a ship
> station, or both."

Oh, that's simpler than it was 48 years ago when I got my 2nd and ship's
radar endorsement. Then the experience had to be AT SEA under the
command of a holder of the first. Coast station didn't count for that
experience (likely a free to the ship apprentice ship). Though as I
recall it only took 6 months, not a year.

I suppose ships sparks today though they spend more time on a satellite
circuit or fixing computers and VCRs than on HF still are required to
have the first CW on US ships. Otherwise its nothing but exclusive wall
paper. I passed my 2nd (and 1st phone) 48 years ago, but the CW license
hasn't yet paid for its cost (and it was free other than trolley fare to
the examination site and the day skipped from school).
--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,