Re: [TenTec] running cw with generator question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] running cw with generator question
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 20:47:46 -0600
On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 15:53 -0800, jerome schatten wrote:
> Hope this isn't stretching the limits on off-topic posting:
>
> I'm considering buying a small eu1000 Honda 1000w generator to (among
> other things) run my Jupiter with a switching power supply and my laptop
> from inside my camper. I run only CW, and I was wondering if the rapid
> surges in current draw caused by the CW keying would drive the generator
> nuts? Or, as I would hope, the flywheel on the generator would keep the
> generator running at about the same speed?

The Honda will run variable speed. Its designed that way, with a low
voltage generator and an electronic inverter.

If rapid current changes are a bother, change over to a 12 volt system
with a battery between the charger and the radio. Depending on the
battery size you can run hours without the generator, then recharge the
battery in a fairly short time.

> I would be plugging the generator into the camper so it could run the
> lights, etc. as well and hoping to get away with a 1kw generator, as
> physical size is a problem while traveling.

Isn't there already a 12 volt system in the camper. Run the radio
directly from that.

> Seems to me that this is the old 'field day generator' problem, but I
> never paid much attention to the generator end of things as I was always
> operating. Thanks for any advice.

My dad and I rewound a 24 volt generator for 120 volts AC once and it
ended up with excess inductance. It didn't like tube rectifier loads
until we added some oil paper capacitors for power factor correction.
Then the rig and alternator ran fine for the length of FD. These days I
use the battery and have fewer problems. Kind of wish we hadn't
destroyed that generator. I do still have the engine, but let the
generator go when I sold his house.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,