Re: [TenTec] OMNI VII Comparison Test

To: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@arrl.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OMNI VII Comparison Test
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 10:01:30 -0800
Having the S-meter software compensate for preamp and attenuator settings is
something I have been asking for in the Orions for quite a while.  My trusty
TS-870 compensates for the preamp (menu selectable) but not for the
attenuator settings.  The real thing I was interested in though was the
accuracy of the S-meter readings in the 'normal' situation of no preamp or
attenuator.  The Orion II reads about 2 S-units low on signals below S9 and
10 to 20 dB high on signals over S9 based on my testing with a signal
generator as shown in the chart at this address:

http://n6ie.com/Orion%20S%20meter%20descrep.htm

It seems like this would be an easy thing to fix in the software, or for a
more low-tech solution, have a new meter face silk screened.

      Ron N6IE
 www.N6IE.com
(Formerly N6AHA)