[TenTec] OMNI VII Comparison Test

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VII Comparison Test
From: "Rick, NJ0IP / DJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 13:15:48 +0100
We have just posted our comparison test on the Bavarian Contest Club's
website.

The main purpose was to compare the OMNI VII against typical radios which we
use for contesting, with primary focus on intermodulation (40m).

In this test we compare:

*       OMNI VII   S/N 00000   (pre-production unit)
*       ORION Main RX  (V.2.059d)
*       ORION Sub RX
*       FT-1000 MK5 Field w. INRAD CW Roofing Filter
*       FT-2000
*       TS-480 SAT
*       K2 (w. latest firmware and updates)

Although the TS-480 is not in the same class as the other radios, each of
the 3 testers owned one (for mobile/portable, etc.) and wanted to know how
it faired against the "real radios" and Toffy's 480 happened to be onsite
the evening of the test.

There is a link to a short video showing how we tested each radio.

Here is the link to the Reviews section of the Bavarian Contest Club's web
site:

http://www.bavarian-contest-club.de/reviews/

For clarity, in the last two extra videos over the OMNI VII, I use the
phrase "you can tune the radio across the band".. and insinuate "without the
receiver swamping with a blanket of intermodulation".

Sorry, but we did not have a PRO III available for testing.  Except for the
OMNI VII, these are the radios which are always on site at DL1A.  The OMNI
VII will be added to the arsenal there as soon as it obtains CE approval and
becomes available in Europe.

73

Rick Westerman

DJ0IP / NJ0IP