Re: [TenTec] Is there a beefier 2N5301?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Is there a beefier 2N5301?
From: Shawn Upton <kb1ckt@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 16:15:43 -0800 (PST)
What's wrong with a fan, or a couple of small ones?
The cheap PC ones won't last long, but should do alot
for continous duty heat dissapation.

Responding to an earlier post: it's better to use too
little than it is to use too much.  I forget the exact
numbers now, but in terms of relative heat conduction,
if glass is a 1, and metal 1000 (metal allowing heat
to flow 1000 times easier), that heatsink goop is like
a 3.  Its use is to fill in the valleys left from
machining the metal surfaces; by filling those gaps,
somewhat better heat conduction occurs.  But the
majority of the heat needs to flow from metal to
metal.

When using the stuff, it's best to apply it, and then
wipe it off each surface.  You should see lots of
metal, and just small dots of white.

Why are the transistors dying so often?  Is the supply
tripping out too often?  Maybe a 10W resistor, say 0.1
ohm, on the collector side?  I'm thinking of its
purpose to limiting fault current when the crowbar
fires.

Shawn Upton, KB1CKT