Re: [TenTec] emergency power via generator

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] emergency power via generator
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 14:47:33 -0500
Propane powered generators will not start in freezing cold weather.  They
must be insulated and heated.  Keep that in mind.

Buy a little extra capacity, not the surge capacity, but the continuous
capacity.

Be sure your generator puts out 240 VAC to power home stuff.  Then you can
(through proper, code-compliant, wiring) backfeed the house wiring from the
generator.  Then you can power anything anywhere in the house - provided of
course that you limit the total load to what the generator can deal with.

Have lots and lots of gasoline  (or propane) on hand.  You can't run
anything without fuel.  You generally cannot get fuel during an outage,
cause the gas station has no power to run its pumps.

Any modern AC generator makes a nice clean sine wave.  You won't have any
worries there.  Check the voltage (under load) the first time you use it to
make sure it was regulated right at the factory.

Gary