Re: [TenTec] Orion 1QRP

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 1QRP
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:46:24 -0600
On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 18:37 -0400, jmalloy wrote:
> k3hx@juno.com wrote:
> > The ARCI QRP contest is due this Sunday and I would like to use
> >
> > my Orion (software ver 1.372) but am unable to get the power down far
> >
> > enough using the PWR button and MULTI knob.
> >
> > I'm loathe to use an attenuator.  Is there a way to run down the
> >
> > drive?
> >
> > Be Well,
> >
> > Tim
> >
> Tim, my Orion (the so-called "I") will do a bit under 4 watts with the
> power set to 1, so that's QRP by my calculations.  But if yours is over
> 5 watts, wouldn't the old "9 volt battery across the mic terminals" plus
> the power control allow you to set it where you want?  I don't know,
> I've not tried it, but it was a simple trick tried successfully many
> years ago in the old tube transceiver days.  Anyone have an idea of how
> that does?
>
> 73,
>
> Joe, W2RBA

Battery to the microphone terminals? I suppose it would reduce the
audio, it shouldn't change the tube bias to reduce the gain, and
wouldn't even do anything on CW.

Perhaps you are remembering wrong and its a 9v battery and an adjustment
pot applying a fixed voltage to the external ALC input. That has worked
for every radio with that connection, intended for use with an external
PA.

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,