Re: [TenTec] Omni VI- PBT jumping after warm up.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI- PBT jumping after warm up.
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:49:29 -0600
On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 16:12 -0500, k8vf_mark@centurytel.net wrote:
> All of a sudden My Omni VI(+1) began acting up.
>
> When turned on from a cold start, the PBT is way off,  I must turn it about
> 30 degrees to the Counter Clockwise in ALL MODES.
> After 5 minutes or so it JUMPS to the "normal" setting (rather it is off
> again and I must re center the control  to hear as I normally would). It
> doesn't drift, it SUDDENLY reverts to its proper state.
>
> If, for example, you were copying a cw station it would disappear and you
> would have to re-center the station with the control.  It works fine until
> turned off and allowed to get cold.
>
> Has  anyone seen this one?  I searched and didn't find any in the archives.
>
> Since it is in all modes, it should narrow it down some.
>
> Thought I would check before I open it up.
>
> Thanks, Mark

Its thermal. Could be an almost soldered connection, a connector, or
inside a chip or transistor.

You need a freeze mist and some warm air (hot air gun or hair dryer).
When it changes go cool a section. Then warm it, doing a binary chop
(cutting the area heated and cooled each time) to isolate it. You may
even get it down to the connection or device with the problem.

73, Jerry, K0CQ