Re: [TenTec] DSP on the Jupiter

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] DSP on the Jupiter
From: "dw" <bw_dw@fastmail.fm>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:55:48 -0700
Hi Rick,
I like the NR in the Jupiter.
You can pre-set it to a depth.
I have mine set pretty light, and use it mostly on the lower bands.
Its nice especially on 160 which can get pretty hashy.

And yes, I agree, the passband is one of the *** PREMO *** things I like
about the Jup.

The other is the serial control.  I use a home brewed PIC control module
with the Jup.

I worked as a product manager for hospital equipment in a former
life, and one of the marketing models we found very successful
with equipment that is highly firmware functional ( like the Jup )
was to have different model levels based on activated functionality.
So the least expensive version of the device had a number of features
turned off, even though the hardware was identical in each unit.
This allowed our customers to purchase an entry-level device at a lower
cost, and upgrade it whenever they wanted to, for an additional fee.
All that was required for the upgrade was a simple firmware swap.  And
with a built-in no-tamper circuit, it was good money and happy
customers.

I know that I drooled over TT stuff for years, not feeling that I could
justify the cost for a hobby item.
And I'll bet there are a lot of Hams out there doing the same.
If TT used this marketing strategy, as we did, they could reap the
benefits of selling more units and, making more money on upgrade
business.

There are few Jup features that I just don't ever use.
And the fact that cw speed and audio volume use the same controls with a
function step is (for me) an inconvenience.
But my PIC controler takes care of that.

One of my next PIC projects is to make a band SWR analyzer routine for
the Jup.
Where the PIC controls the unit, steps it up through the HF bands,
passing frequency & SWR readings into an Excel sheet which will display
the data in graphic.

That's why I love this rig!!!
What a toy!!  :)
Duane

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 20:36:12 -0400, wo8l@aol.com said:
> Hi All,
>
> What does the DSP noise reduction sound like on the Jupiter?  I'd like to
> pick up a used or even new Jupiter but I've never heard the DSP noise
> reduction.  At the Ten Tec factory, I played with a Jupiter and loved the
> pass band tuning but never got too deeply into the DSP noise reduction.
>
> The OMNI VII is out of my price range but I did play with that at the
> last Ten Tec hamfest.  I could sell my car (a 1998 Ford Escort Wagon with
> 99,000 miles on it and buy one.  Maybe some day.)
>
> The Orion?  Wow!  I worked that in Sevierville but I'd need to sell my
> house to afford that, although it is tempting to take that step.  Dunno
> where my wife would go, though.  Hi, hi.
>
> I have an OMNI VI (upgrade version 3) at the Ten Tec factory for repair.
> Hope it gets home soon.
>
> Anyway, I also have a Kenwood TS 570. On SSB and CW, the DSP noise
> reduction settings are virtually useless because of distortion (Can you
> say Donald Duck?).  However, the DSP "filters" on CW are not that bad. It
> has really turned me off regarding DSP.
>
> So, what does everyone think of the Jupiter?  And DSP?  And the sound?
>
> 73s,
>
> Rick
> WO8L
> Pfafftown, NC