Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525 question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525 question
From: "C. Mark Cring" <n8coo@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:48:20 -0700 (PDT)
Gerry, and all,

Thanks again for the tips.  I haven't got to the point of doing any
mods on the Argosy, nor have I ever had it on the air, since I've never
got the unit completely fixed since I purchased it.  So far I've fixed
the VFO, dial cord, AF filter, broken knobs (the band switch knob was
replaced with a slightly larger one of the same type with a metal hub),
burnt out dial light, and mic connector.  The rig isn't exactly what
you'd call mint.  Now I'm working on the 226 calibrator.  Replaced the
4024 divider chip but still works only "occasionally".  Scope waveform
looks good and full from ~3.2 MHz oscillator into the divider (at least
several volts p-p) Timer/resets (for pulses) going from 0-6vdc or so
OK. All other voltages check out. Once and awhile it kicks in and I get
25 kHz sq. waves out, most of the time -  nothing.  A Ten Tec tech once
told me this circuit was marginal, or words to that effect. Guess I
need to call them and ask if any new ideas.  Maybe a specific
manufacturer/ part number of the divider works better than others in
this application.  I probably should have sourced the part from them.

As far as the noise floor goes, I haven't looked to see if the low pass
filter cap in the IF was ever changed (I think my serial is 425?) but
it is only noisy on the LO power switch position.  Only t/s so far I
have done previously is used deoxit on the switch,  tried jumpering the
appropriate switch poles together - no change. I'll tackle that one
after I get the calibrator going.

Nice to see so much interest in the older rigs.  I purchased an
Argonaut V several years ago which does what I intended the Argosy to
do, and more.  I almost sold the Argosy a few times, but decided to
keep it for now. To tell the truth, I've kind of enjoyed figuring the
problems out, even though it was not my intention to buy a "project"
rig at the time.  So I get it out once and awhile and dink around with
it before putting it back on the shelf.  The Paragon is still my main
home rig and I'm happy with it.  But if anyone out there is looking for
a small newer rig, the Argonaut V has a very nice sounding receiver and
can be a great backup or main rig even with its lower power. Kind of
reminds me of my old TS-520 receive audio without the intermod, etc.

73, Mark, N8COO