[TenTec] Orion II Status Report

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II Status Report
From: K5XS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:39:48 EDT
Gang,
   I am not given to giving testimonials, but after three months  of owning a
new Orion II, I thought I'd offer my observations.
   In short, I am delighted.  The radio hasn't had a single  glitch that has
given me pause to second guess my decision to buy it.   There are a (very) few
minor points I'd like to see improved, but they border on  the trivial:
- I wish the S-meter were better calibrated.  It is clearly  "generous."
- The mic connector wiggles too much.  I peeked inside hoping I could
tighten it, and I saw it is part of the front panel circuit board.  I wish  it
were
better supported.
  That's it.  The receiver is a dream, even for an old Omni VI  (and VI+)
fan.  I find it quiet and I love the filtering scheme.  The  menus are very
easy
for me to make my way through.
   Contrary to what some have said, I find the spectrum sweep  display very
useful, particularly on a quiet band when I am wondering if anyone  is on.
   Overall, I am a delighted Ten Tec customer (yet again).
Bernie Skoch
K5XS