Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion a bit premature?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion a bit premature?
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 22:22:55 +0000

Farming out work is not always a good thing (for reasons that have nothing to do with ham radio) depending on the circumstances. If a small shop has some piecemeal work or highly specialized work that needs to be done but not enough to keep a full-time employee occupied, that's one thing. An auto shop sending out automatic transmission work for example.

However, it becomes a problem when a business farms out work to get out of establishing a full-time job and paying benefits and medical insurance. There are a lot of people these days who are "employed" but not really employed, if you define employed as meaning a fair wage possibly with collective bargaining. Politicians like to talk about all the jobs being created and the low unemployment, but they are mostly part-time or on-call jobs and not the kind of jobs that give people financial security and a future. If Ten Tec creates good jobs by not farming out work, more power to them because we need those jobs.

Unrelated note: When you shop at stores with "self-checkout" do you use those facilities? If you do, you are helping retail businesses use machines to avoid creating jobs that people need.

73,

rob / k5uj

Ron.... from the prospective of these dinky American radio companies
(Flex and Elecraft) , why would they lie and put out bad info? We all
know that both these companies are credible with their products'
claims.  I do not see them needing to do this because they went
outside their company for firmware / software design. This is
completely documented. Ten-Tec, on the other hand  announced today
that all software / firmware work on Orion / Orion II / OMNI VII and
others was all done in house. These little companies went out of
house to have a really nice and functional product. I look forward to
confirmation of the numbers by ARRL and others. Not buying Ten Tec
any time soon!  From what I read, they should probably seek outside
help for their software as well.... at least for the ORION's.  73's
Dick   W5AK