Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion a bit premature?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion a bit premature?
From: "James Duffer" <dufferjames@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 17:45:10 -0500

SNIP>

However, it becomes a problem when a business farms out work to get out of establishing a full-time job and paying benefits and medical insurance. There are a lot of people these days who are "employed" but not really employed, if you define employed as meaning a fair wage possibly with collective bargaining. Politicians like to talk about all the jobs being created and the low unemployment, but they are mostly part-time or on-call jobs and not the kind of jobs that give people financial security and a future. If Ten Tec creates good jobs by not farming out work, more power to them because we need those jobs.

Unrelated note: When you shop at stores with "self-checkout" do you use those facilities? If you do, you are helping retail businesses use machines to avoid creating jobs that people need.

And you may be helping the business keep their costs down as well as your own!

True for businesses and government. I have seen a government agency reduce cost by remote maintenance monitoring, built in test equipment (BITE), replaceing tube type equipment with solid state that required less maintenance plus many other areas that resulted in saving the taxpayer money, but the number of government Electronic Technicians (GS-856) also decreased as a result of this.

73, Jim
73,

rob / k5uj

Ron.... from the prospective of these dinky American radio companies
(Flex and Elecraft) , why would they lie and put out bad info? We all
know that both these companies are credible with their products'
claims.  I do not see them needing to do this because they went
outside their company for firmware / software design. This is
completely documented. Ten-Tec, on the other hand  announced today
that all software / firmware work on Orion / Orion II / OMNI VII and
others was all done in house. These little companies went out of
house to have a really nice and functional product. I look forward to
confirmation of the numbers by ARRL and others. Not buying Ten Tec
any time soon!  From what I read, they should probably seek outside
help for their software as well.... at least for the ORION's.  73's
Dick   W5AK