Re: [TenTec] Omni 6

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 19:02:30 -0600
On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 20:42 +0100, Steve Hunt wrote:
> Merv,
>
> I have the same problem with my Omni VI.
>
> I can often move the birdies out of band by slight movement of the PBT
> control.
> I asked Ten Tec's Service Dept about the problem and this was Don's reply:
>
> "Some birdies, but not all, can
> be reduced by making sure that the mounting screws for the boards
> and ALL chassis screws are tight. You may have to move some cables and
> or put a twist in them. Also on the Band Pass Filter board, any part
> that passes through the top ground plane to ground or earth, should be
> soldered on the TOP side of the board. No two rigs are the same, some it
>  is cables, others it is grounds or a combination of both."
>
> I haven't tried this myself; I just live with problem and when I can stand it
> no longer
> I switch on my trusty CorsairII  :)
>
> 73,
> Steve G3TXQ

Believe it. The grounding through the board mounting screws goes bad
with age. The plastic of the board does what its name says, it flows
under pressure and relieves that pressure and so some of the board
grounds go open. It doesn't matter where in the world the radio was
made, it happens. And simply tightening the screws every couple years
cures many ills.

73, Jerry, K0CQ