Re: [TenTec] New Orion I v2 Firmware version: 2.062a

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New Orion I v2 Firmware version: 2.062a
From: "Robert Carroll" <w2wg@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 12:46:30 -0400
Merle-

I spent most of yesterday playing with the new release again, wondering
again if I have overlooked something.  I hear the same things you do.  I
have run every AGC parameter through its ranges many times, and though on
occasion a signal will sound very clean, it's not long before the fuzz and
rasp disappears.  I am pretty sure I can hear aliasing noise at times, also.
The rasp/fuzz  has a lot of high (audio) freq components and the lower-fi
the headphone or speaker, the less of it you will hear.  Running up the RX
eq will help for this reason--but not get it back to what is acceptable to
me.  After hours of this, I did what I have been doing for a few days--going
back to 2056.  With that load MY Orion I, which appears to be different from
about 50% of the population, sounds like an analog receiver.  The cw signals
and sidetone are perfect--no rasp or buzz.  I do have fond memories of
1.375B and 1.373 and find their "sound" to be totally acceptable though to
me not as clean as 2056 on my particular set.  The V1 releases do have the
reputation for having more lockups, however.  In their favor I believe there
is pretty much universal agreement that processed SSB has a lot more punch
than it does with the V2 releases.

Having interacted with TenTec frequently in the last couple of weeks, I
believe they do not give credence to any cw imperfection with the recent
releases.  I will be interacting with them again on Tuesday, so maybe I will
get more of a sense of the situation.

73
Bob W2WG