Re: [TenTec] Inrad Roofing Filters for Omni VI

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Inrad Roofing Filters for Omni VI
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:55:48 -0700
Like Duane said, you can't hit both N1 and N2 (but I think you can set
the roofing filter to engage with only one of these if you wish?)  I
have it set to engage whenever I press N1 or N2 (and I have the 500 Hz
centered narrow 250 Hz filter in N2, a good digging tool).  You can, of
course, use the 6.3 MHz filter and hit the 9 MHz filters, and in my
OMNI VI, it puts the roofing filter in line.  Sweet.

The birdies really are curable for the most part.  You can get some
small ferrites, run around inside to bypass things, make sure grounds
are good everywhere (there is even a webpage somewhere devoted to this
subject!)  Mine is pretty quiet now, I put in an hour or two on it at
one point.  I found the biggest deal behind the front panel, putting
ferrites over the wiring back there sure did help.  If you start going
inside, email me privately and we can discuss how it went for me, I
might be able to give you some tips.  I found that placing my finger
inside the rig while listening for birdies really gave me some peak
locations to work on.

I am struggling this week with possibly selling my OMNI VI (option 3,
roofing filter, upgraded product detector) to finance some acoustic
guitar purchases.  I've had an easier time letting go of my K2 and some
Yaesu gear.  This OMNI has me hesitating, though the time I spend on it
is really not much (and I tell myself the OMNI VI isn't too hard to
replace, there seem to be a number of them out there if I ever want
another!)  Wish me luck.

Clark
WA3JPG

On Jun 14, 2007, at 11:09 AM, Merv Schweigert wrote:

> Clark, appreciate hearing you results, do you engage it with
> just N1 or N2 or with both?
> Currently just have a 500 in the N2 slot,  90 percent of my
> operating is weak signal, usually low band 160/80 and dealing
> with noise etc.   No local QRM out here, not other hams on the
> island active.  So thats not my problem..
> My only problem with the omni 6 upgrade 3 is all the birdies that
> bug listening to weak signals,  perhaps it just this radio.  May
> look for a omni 6 plus as hear they are better in the birdie dept.
> 73 Merv K9FD/KH6
>
>> Subject to what Terry said from his QTH - I find the 600 Hz (lower
>> center freq.) roofing filter to be very helpful in heavy QRM and noise
>> situations for my ears.  It helps the audio DSP to engage better when
>> the signal is just next to the noise for my ears, I really can hear
>> the
>> difference.  I mostly deal with noise and digging down to try to hear
>> weak one, not big time QRM.  However, when there is big time QRM right
>> nearby, and I mean right nearby, I use the roofing filter and the
>> other
>> two filter options and can really clean the signal up.  I am a
>> believer.
>> Clark
>>
>> On Jun 14, 2007, at 8:52 AM, PaulKB8N@aol.com wrote:
>>

>>> I only see a couple of entries in the eHam reviews for the Inrad
>>> roofing
>>> filters for the Omni VI.  I'm considering getting the CW version and
>>> would
>>> appreciate any comments on the performance enhancement that these
>>> filters  provide.
>>>

>> Clark Savage Turner, J.D., Ph.D.
>> WA3JPG
>> Professor of Computer Science