Re: [TenTec] Argo 556/Scout modules

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argo 556/Scout modules
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 16:55:34 -0500
Kevin,
Good point about the change in the metering circuit between the Scout and
556.   Of course, I had overlooked that.  I wonder, do you remember if the
board in your 556 has the cut out for the finals plus heat sink?  Or is it a
fully rectangular board.  I had imagined they would use the same PCB for
both models, but it does make the 556 a bit more sturdy to have a
rectangular board filling the unused finals space.

I would think they could use final shut down protection on the driver/
final, as well as on the high power final.  The simplest would be the use of
a zener to protect against overvoltage on the collector of the driver.  I
will have to look up what they do even for the 50 watt module.

Thanks for calling that further difference to our attention.
-Stuart
K5KVH