[TenTec] Paragon (585) question

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon (585) question
From: "Mike, K9UW" <k9uw@wi-net.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 23:18:44 -0500
I'm enjoying a new (to me) Paragon 1, but have a question about a
possible "issue" I've run into.

With the 6 KHz filter selected, I notice a distinct whine in the
receiver that is masked only by receiving a very strong signal.  The
whine is high pitched and rather annoying.   While it can be heard in
all modes,  it is most apparent in AM.

The whine can be temporarily reduced/eliminated by pressing and holding
any button that does not impact frequency selection.  Pushing and
holding TX OFF, for instance, causes the whine to disappear.  If I
listen very closely while holding in one of these buttons, the high
pitched whine has been replaced by a much quieter and lower pitched
rapid pulsing sound.

The whine is also eliminated by selecting the 2.4 KHz filter, but that
is not always a viable or attractive option when copying an AM station.

Is this typical of the Paragon?  A search of the archives produced only
one reference to something similar and that was posted 9 years ago with
no replies.  If it is not typical, where might I look for a solution/cure?

Thank you, in advance, for your replies.

73, de Mike, K9UW
Amherst, WI