Re: [TenTec] delta 580 on 10 meters?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] delta 580 on 10 meters?
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 17:59:22 -0700
Or even easier when you disconnect the antenna does the noise go
down? When you reconnect it does it go up?

If you can hear the difference then the ambient noise + galactic
noise is higher than the noise figure of the RX. Depending on your
location one or other will dominate.

http://www.vk1od.net/fsm/FSAmbientNoise.htm
http://www.vk1od.net/fsm/FSAmbientNoise.pdf

Another possibility is to listen for a signal leaking out of a
computer or a TV at a multiple of 3579 (7148, 14316, 28632).

Or call CQ on 28300. It's only dead cos everyone is listening.

On Sep 6, 2007, at 3:55 PM, N4NT wrote:

> Here's a quick test.  Disconnect the antenna from the rig.  Turn up
> the gain
> a bit.  Now reconnect the antenna.  If the noise level increases,
> the rig is
> probably fine.
>
> 73, Mike N4NT

73 DE N7WIM / G8UDP