Re: [TenTec] delta 580 on 10 meters?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] delta 580 on 10 meters?
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 21:45:00 -0500
Having owned a 580 Delta (bought it new from Tentec when they first came
out) and several other Tentec radios as well as other brands, the neat thing
about the Tentec series is the fact that the receivers are quite.  Now when
the band is quiet and the receiver is quiet then the characteristic hiss is
missing.  Normal to think that something isn't working.  Ears play tricks on
us.  Back in the good old days, I used to think when one turned all the
knobs to the right, the S-meter moved, a rush noise came out of the speaker
thus indicated that the receiver was really hot.  Little did I know that all
that noise was in the receiver.

Here's an easy test. All that is required is a 2 position coax switch and a
good 50 ohm dummy load.  Switch between the antenna and the dummy load.  If
the noise comes up on the antenna then be assured the receiver is working
and likely very adequately.  If you are hearing band noise, then any signal
on the band will be heard.

73
Bob, K4TAX