Re: [TenTec] Omni VII, Antenna tuning, etc.

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII, Antenna tuning, etc.
From: "Paul Gates, KD3JF" <pearly732003@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:59:53 -0700 (PDT)
I think we have gotten off the topic.... I think the tuners in Orion, Omni VII
probably will do the job ok. I used a friends Kenwood 930 for a while a couple
of years ago awaiting my new rig. Sometimes it worked ok and sometimes it
didn't! I think the point that needs to be considered  is our home antennas are
not that far off talking about SWR, and the inboard tuners will work ok
usually.

I would think the silent majority have not spoken!! LOL I know a lot of hams
that insist on having an outboard tuner for their radios. I am a retired pastor
and make a little over $2000 a month. I am not going to pay $300.00 for a 100
or 200 watt tuner when I can purchase a separate tuner for a lot less. It is
convenient to have a tuner in the radio I know that because I have it that way
in Elecraft K1, and KX1. However I realize that some of you engineers make lot
of money and $300.00 is just a drip in the bucket. I understand that!!

Paul Gates, KD3JF

Grant Youngman <nq5t@tx.rr.com> wrote: > > For what it is worth... I am usually
concerned about the
> cost of things.
> > If I have to pay $300.00 for a tuner I am going to get one
> good for 3K

Won't happen, unless you settle for one of the low-end commercial things
that brag about high power but are basically designed to be fusable links
(e.g., melt under extended high power usage).  One of those things -- and
there are a bunch of them on the market -- would be a waste of $$ for sure.

The internal tuner in the T_T radios is a good piece of equipment and works
well.  IMHO, worth having in the radio whether you have an external monster
tuner or not.

Grant/NQ5T