Re: [TenTec] Omni VII, Antenna tuning, etc.

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII, Antenna tuning, etc.
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:49:24 -0500
For what ever reason I purchased one of the popular tuners that uses a T
Match network and one rated at 1.5KW PEP with the intention of using it on
my 160M and 75M AM station.  There with 350 watts of carrier modulated 100%
with normal voice modulation, after some time I noticed "smoke coming out of
the box".  I opened it up to discover the tapped inductor and it's plastic
structural supports to be stinky gooey brown limp bars.  Fortunately the
stiffness of the wire held things in reasonable shape.  Although the tuner
didn't arc or flash-over, as far as a 1.5KW PEP power rating, it isn't.
{Name omitted to protect the guilty.}

FYI - the mismatch between the input of 50 ohms and the antenna load which
was 83 ohms +J 35 was not considered excessive.

Be aware that all "legal limit" rated tuners are not equal.

73
Bob, K4TAX