Re: [TenTec] paragon II performance on longwave band??

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] paragon II performance on longwave band??
From: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:18:39 -0400
john ferro writes...

> i love this radio, but i have found one negative with the paragon
> and that is LW reception. i sometimes like to listen to the NDB's
> (navigational beacons) below the broadcast band, but the paragon II
> is pretty deaf down here. is this consistant with ten tec radios? do
> they supress reception down in this area? i compared this radio with
> my icom r75 on LW and there is no comparison. Medium wave is
> actually pretty good on the paragon II with good rejection.

My Ten Tec is ham bands only, so it really doesn't hear well at
frequencies below the AM BC band, heh, heh.

But I know that a lot of general coverage receivers for ham radios
have attenuation or filtration built in to protect the receiver from
strong nearby AM broadcast signals. My older Kenwood is that way, and
it doesn't even hear the AM broadcast band as well as good consumer
receivers. I would not be surprised if the Paragon design included
some high-pass filtration or LF attenuation to provide protection.

Rick, KR9D

---
Richard W. Denney, Jr. PE|Iteris, Inc.              |
Associate Vice President |107 Carpenter Dr. Ste 230 |    703.925.3819
rwd@iteris.com           |Sterling, VA 20164        |Fax 703.471.1757