[TenTec] Omni VII Question

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VII Question
From: k8vf_mark@centurytel.net
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 19:52:00 -0400
One reason we might be hearing more noise is that the Omni VII has a much
lower noise floor than the Omni C........if memory serves me,  -128 on 160
meters VS -140...quite an improvement in sensitivity.  TEN TEC correctly
reasoned that on the lower bands, more was not needed on the older rigs.

On the lower(160,80,40) bands, I wind up with 18dB of attenuation in and rf
gain cut back 5% or so most of the time.

(I still wish the "S" meter worked like the Omni VI, though......reduce rf
gain until "S" meter drops to zero and you are all set......I am unconcerned
with a lab standard "S" meter since each antenna and installation makes it
moot.....I know, I know, I am the ONLY guy who liked it that way, but it was
much nicer to operate "at the noise threshold")

The noise reduction does add some artifacts on cw. I can't use it there.
On SSB is is great in my opinion.  A "Peaking" function like on Omni VI
would be the cat's pajamas!

The CW filters have 2 issues which I hope are addressed:
1-they need to go narrower, 200 Hz just isnt narrow enough WITH THE SLOPE OF
THESE FILTERS.

2 the slope of the filters needs to be steeper in my opinion. I feel the
same way about the cw filters in the omni VI. Not steep enough. (Perhaps a
choice in slope?)

I find that I am using a lower pitch cw note on the VII than I have ever
used. It "hears" better with a 500 or 550 Hz note in my opinion.  I have
used an 800 or 750 note for years. Not sure why this one would be different.

There are still a few things which will be changed, I am sure.

It would be nice if the ATTN followed the bands, but ATTN on other rigs is a
hardware switch and doesn't follow the bands so it is a nit pick.

Some settings are changed too quickly with the multi knob, some are too
slow. (perhaps a choice in rate of change?)

The Omni VII is "Different" from the Asian rigs in many ways. Obviously the
receiver is more bullet proof.
Some "bells and whistles" are missing.  Do we need them? Everyone's answer
will be different.

In my opinion the Omni VII is the best "launch" of any of the newer rigs and
it is getting better all of the time.

I am looking forward to the improvements!